Wednesday, January 22, 2014
You Know You Live In Alaska When:
1. Your newly turned 5 year old daughter asks why she did not get a pocket knife for her birthday when it was on her list.
2. You consider it a BEAUTIFUL day when you see a break in the clouds even if you never really saw the sun...you saw that it was possible.
3. When searching for flights to the lower 48 for all 8 of you $5000 sounds reasonable.
4. You refer to the 48 other states as the "lower 48". Hawaii is always referred to as Hawaii and all Alaskans love to vacation there (see above $5000 as to why these Alaskans may never get there).
5. Gaining 14 seconds of daylight is welcomed and noticed change in your day.
6. A sale on Orange Juice means you pay $7.15 instead of $7.85...big difference.
7. The local mayor runs on the platform of doing away with paved roads and just moving forward with gravel roads for all over town...and she WINS!!!
8. When you walk into the Dr. office there is a sign that reminds people to leave all weapons in their cars.
9. When you walk onto your front porch there is likely to be a bag of fish, fresh jelly, or smoked salmon waiting for you.
10. People who don't know you stop to help you get your car unstuck in the snow. And you happen to have been stuck a few times already.
I know I am lucky. I laugh about it. I cry about it. But ultimately I am so grateful to be a part of it.